Thursday, March 8, 2012

Little Rhody


There she is, our little Rhody, sandwiched between Massachusetts, the Atlantic Ocean, and Connecticut.  Often used as a unit of measurement, Rhode Island covers an area of approximately 1,214 square miles, and was one of the thirteen original American colonies that declared independence against British rule to begin the American Revolution.  Nicknamed "The Ocean State," every point in RI is within 30 miles of sea water.  

Why do I tell you all this?  Well, it has been brought to my attention that my blog posts have been a bit disparaging to my home state. And, since it's said that every native Rhode Islander who leaves always finds their way back, I figure I better take some time, and some blogsphere space, to list all of the unique features of our little state so that she welcomes me back if the time should come.

To start with, Rhode Island's history is a rich one both culturally and architecturally, with breathtaking scenery and mouth-watering cuisine. Really, no matter your tastes, some of the best food around is created right here in RI, and there is no shortage of boutique restaurants to be found. Packed with 400 miles of coastline, and 20 percent of the country's historic landmarks, Rhode Island hosts the home of the sailing capital of the world, Newport, which is also home to the famed Gilded Age mansions.  

Providence, our state capital city, boasts celebrated restaurants, award-winning theatre, and a vibrant arts scene; all enhanced by an elaborate river-walk that winds through the city streets (our sister city just happens to be Venice!).  You'll easily experience authentic Rhode Island from South Country's pristine beaches, to following in historical footsteps in Blackstone Valley.

With all that Rhode Island clearly has to offer, there is one spot that holds significant meaning and memory for our little family of five. Beavertail State Park in Jamestown is one of those places I know I will visit in my mind, even as I sit on the white sand beaches of Hawaii. It's here that we were married (that's us there, aren't we just so cute?!), and where we go as a family to climb the natural shale rocks and wade in tidal pools.  It's also a place I hold sacred, as it is where my father, who has since passed, and I could be free to enjoy our ever separating relationship, as we worked through divorce, and remarriage, through the tender years of my childhood.

So, that's it in a nutshell, perhaps even a Hawaiian macadamia one at that. Goodbye coffee milk, clam cakes, and Del's lemonade.  Life, as we've known it is about to take a pretty sharp veer in course, a leap of faith, if you will.   And so I leave you today with this thought - one's sense of adventure isn't so much inherited as it is discovered - I know we look forward to our adventures, living in an ...

Aloha State of Mind


2 comments:

  1. Lovely tribute, Robin. I truly envy you what is waiting as you leave the beaches of RI behind for the paradise of Hawaii! Enjoy,life is too short to have regrets!

    ReplyDelete

Aloha, and Mahalo for taking the time to comment!